Bonjour, mes amis! Welcome to another delicious edition of Just Eat! I am so thrilled about this post, I have been brainstorming ideas for weeks! Valentine’s Day is just around the corner and I have wanted to do a special recipe for all my lovely foodies for a while. Valentine’s Day, what is it about? Commercial chocolates in heart-shaped boxes? No. Dozens of roses? No. A reason to go out to dinner? No. Love? BINGO! When I think of love in my life, my mind instantly goes to one thing, other than my family, FRANCE! When I think of France, I think of my visits to Paris.
When I think of Paris, I think of my daily visit to get a macaron from Pierre Hermé, Ladurée, Pain du Sucre, Carl Marletti, and everywhere else!
With this logic, I feel the only way I can show my love for all my readers is through the MACARON! We can’t just have any plain ‘ole macaron, not that there is anything wrong with that. We need one that screams Valentine’s Day, love, and all that jazz. I have it!
Chocolate-Covered Strawberry Macarons! Yum!
These babies are traditional macaron shells filled with strawberry preserves and dipped in dark chocolate! Oh my, they are DELICIOUS!
For those that have never attempted macarons, do not me intimidated! They are very simple to make, just watch the oven temperature.
Macarons à la fraise couvert de chocolat (Chocolate-Covered Strawberry Macarons)
I have included cups for those without scales, but results may vary! It is best to measure by weight.
- 190 grams Almond Meal (~1 1/3 cups)
- 310 grams Powdered Sugar (~2 4/5 cups)
- 150 grams Aged Egg Whites (Leave at room temp for a day in a cool room or place in fridge for 4 days) (~5 eggs)
- 95 grams Sugar (~7/16 cups)
- 1/2 tsp Red Food Coloring (Gel, not liquid)
- 1.5 cups Strawberry Preserves
- Dark Chocolate for Melting/Dipping (I used Wilton’s Candy Melts)
1. In a large and clean bowl, sift almond meal and powdered sugar.
2. Stir mixture with a wooden spatula to distribute ingredients evenly.
3. In a bowl, place egg whites and beat on high using a hand mixer or Kitchenaid mixer.
4. When you are able to lift the beaters up and see that stiff peaks are forming, stop beating.
5. Add sugar in three installments, beating on high after each.
6. Once all sugar has been added, beat until still peaks form again.
7. Add food coloring and beat until stiff peaks reform and color is even.
8. Add meringue to almond meal mixture and begin folding in.
9. Fold in until just combined.
10. Using a pastry scraper or something with a grease-proof straight-edge, slowly pass over the batter going back and form, press lightly. (This reduces air in the batter by forcing them out and popping air bubbles.)
11. Pipe macaron shells onto parchment-paper lined sheets using a piping bag with medium round tip. (You can also make heart shapes for added Valentine’s Day flare!)
12. Bake at 150 degrees Celsius or 300 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes. (Be careful about temperature!)
13. Let cool, then flip over and gently press your index finger into center of each, making a small indention.
14. Match shells up to another similar shell.
15. Pipe about 1 tsp of preserves into the center of 1 macaron shell from each pair.
16. Close shells and press gently to distribute preserves.
17. Melt chocolate in a heat-proof bowl.
18. Dip half of each macaron in chocolate and let dry.
19. Macarons need to sit for 24 hours for optimal flavor. Then, enjoy!
These in a little cute box tied with ribbon or served on a pretty platter make such a great gift for that special someone! The crispness of the outer macaron shell and chocolate with the soft and moist center of the macaron’s strawberry preserves mimic the chocolate-covered strawberry so well! The flavor is on point, too! The preserves keep the strawberry flavor and juiciness and goes so well with the dark chocolate! I am just in LOVE with them! I literally ate almost a dozen myself! This recipe will make about 3 dozen 1.5″ macaron, so I put the rest in precious little brown boxes and tied them with blue string for some of my other single friends for the holiday. We single ladies help each other out! Haha!
Alright, that does it for this edition! Be sure to return on Thursday for another Tasty Thursday video entry and recipe! Be sure to enter the big giveaway going on right now!